Sunday, March 16, 2014

My new favorite breakfast

I just finished breakfast, and I feel very satisfied...and full!  What I have been enjoying for my first meal of the day might be rather odd to most, but I absolutely love it!  My daughter told me it looked like a cross between dinner and breakfast and she deemed it "gross," but she isn't a veggie person (I'm working on this....).

Here's what I've been eating for the past few days:

Saute about 4 ounces sliced portabella mushroom in 1/2 - 1 t. of coconut oil until nearly softened.  Then throw in a handful of fresh spinach and finish sauteeing until the mushrooms are done to your liking and the spinach softened.

Meanwhile, cook about 12 spears of asparagus (I LOVE this stuff!).  You can roast it in the oven, or however you enjoy it.  Personally, I just steam mine in the microwave.

Once the mushrooms and spinach are done, plate them and cook 3/4 c. of egg substitute (you can also use eggs and/or egg whites...I just find the substitute fast and easy).  Since the skillet is hot, the eggs should cook up quickly.  And you can put in a little bit more coconut oil if needed to keep them from sticking and for flavor.

Enjoy!  This is a very SANE breakfast because the plate is about 2/3 full of healthy non-starchy vegetables, with a good amount of protein to finish it out.  And there is just a bit of healthy fat in the coconut oil.  I find that this breakfast not only fills me up, but stays with me well into lunch.  For the past couple of days, I haven't even been able to finish my lunchtime salad because I'm just not that hungry.  It's an amazing change from being starving by lunch time due to having a high-carb, non-filling breakfast.  I am really loving this change, and I hope you do, too.  Try your own combination of vegetables at breakfast.  It might seem very strange at first, since veggies are not really considered "breakfast fare" by the general population, but hopefully you will find it as refreshing of a morning meal as I do.

This is just an example of how to start your day in the SANE lane!  Please post a comment letting me know what YOU enjoy for breakfast.  I would love to get your input, as I am new to this and looking for great new ideas to try.  Have a wonderful, SANE day!  :-)

Janelle


No comments:

Post a Comment